Why choose a Premium Domain Name?
As a digital business consultant, I’m asked alot about domain names, here is informaiton I’ve gathered through years of real world experiance and true business practices. I hope you find this information helpful.
Who buys Premium Domains
- Small or medium businesses
- Marketing or brand management
- Hobbyist or personal
- A Premium Domain has a different value for each type of buyer.
What attributes make a domain "Premium"
- Lenght / memorability
- TLD strength
Why do people buy Premium Domains
- Name of their business
- Name of a product or service
- Keyword in their industry
- Hobby or personal use
- Premium Domains give you access to a scarce and increasingly important resource. History
Check common names.
- Always run them through Front of Site (FOS) for something close.
Questions to Ask
- How much does your business depend on the online presence that you want to create?
- I see that you have a very lengthy/hard-to-remember domain name. Why don’t you have
an easy memorable domain?
- Why did you pick this name?
- Have you registered or bought a domain from us before?
- Are you looking for a domain that already has search and click history?
- Does your domain pass the radio test? If a customer were to hear your domain name on
the radio while riding in their car, would they be able to remember it by the time they got
- Was this domain your first choice?
A lot of new businesses choose from unregistered domains, but you don’t have to – and you probably shouldn’t. There are thousands of domains to chose from (even those that have been registered), and they’re easy to
remember, short in character count and can be an asset to your business for many years
What to tell yourself
- Say the domain out loud.
- Make sure your customers can pronounce and spell your domain name.
- Look for domains that imply credibility. That is crucial to the success of online businesses!
- The ideal domain is a short .com (or local TLD) that exactly matches your business name with no hyphens. It’s easy to remember, spell and it accurately represents your brand.
- Look for domains in categories that directly relate to your business.
5 reasons to consider Premium Domain names.
- If the domain name is your first choice in a business name, it is probably the name potential customers use to find you.
- Premium domain names are memorable which makes it easier for your customers
to find you. They’re easy to pronounce and spell.
- Simple generic terms tend to lend credibility to the website. ClassicCars.com vs. OfficialClassicStyleCars.com.
- Many people use generic domain names as investments and there is natural value
in them. They are basically valuable domain name real estate. See #5. (We do not suggest if a name is overvalued or undervalued; that is for the you to decide.)
- Domain names are unique. For the exact spelling and domain name extension you
want, there is only one domain name. There is only one HulaHoop.com. These domain names are easily brandable.
Legitimacy and professionalism
Customers will be more apt to do business with you online.
Premium online real estate
You want a prime location so your prospects and customers can easily find you.
Easy to remember
Your domain will be tied directly to your website and email address(es). It will be visible on your marketing/promotional items, business cards, letterhead and maybe even a billboard. You want a domain that existing and prospective customers can easily remember.
Short and sweet
The longer your domain, the more difficult it is for customers to remember. The 1,000,000 most popular domains were on average about 10
characters long. Suddenly bestarizonapoolcleaner.com seems less appealing. Also consider choosing a domain name that is easy to spell. Getting people to take an interest in your company is difficult enough. You don’t want to lose business simply because customers can’t get to your website.
Search engine strength
Domains with strong keywords can improve your ranking in the major search engines.
Popular TLD selection
Purchasing a Premium Domain may be the difference in coming away with a .COM or
something else. You may consider skipping a Premium Domain that ends in .COM
because the .INFO or .NET is available for less. Less than two years ago, 75 percent of all
registered domains were .COMs. The reason is simple: .COM is still considered the most
popular and well-known TLD.
That number has likely changed some with the introduction of many new domain extensions. Yet, a .COM still can be a strong contender for most small businesses. Most quality .COM addresses are only available on the secondary market and only for a premium price.
A good domain is not just short and easy to remember, but also brand-able. Originally
keyword rich domains, such as bestarizonapoolcleaner.com, received higher rankings simply because they contained the same keywords people used in their searches.
However, it seems these ‘exact match domains’ are no longer receiving the same preferential treatment they once did. You can check out additional, third-party research to confirm.
Google’s CEO says, “Brands are the solution, not the problem. Brands are how you sort out the cesspool … Brand affinity is clearly hard-wired. It is so fundamental to human existence that it’s not going away.”
Domains with previous history are considered more authoritative in the eyes of search engines.
Domains can grow in value with each passing day. You would include the domain in the
offer if you were to ever sell your business – companies do that all the time and recoup
Check out the most expensive domains ever sold by click here.
A smart investment
If for some reason you were forced to cease operations, this is a domain you’d always be
able to sell. And because it will have an established history, you’ll likely be able to sell it
for more than you purchased it for.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read my Why. I hope you found a few truths and if you have any questions, please email me at Ken@KAJconsults.com or text 800.910.1338.
“If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God”
– 1 John 4:15
Our success is providing proven services and digital products to our customers to achieve their dreams through technology.
Web Hosting & Services
Hosting, Professional Email, and IT Services are just a few digital services we offer.
Microsoft 365 Office
Outlook Business Email, Excel, Powerpoint and 24/7 security monitoring and support.